Scotland 10K + The Mermaid Inn

I officially kicked off the running season and ran my first NYRR race of 2016 – 1 down, 8 more to go!

Saturday, April 2 was the Scotland 10K – a little more than one loop around Central Park. My uncle and I both ran the race so it was more fun. Temperatures were around 50 degrees but it was raining so it was quite chilly. I wore only shorts and a T-shirt so I was fine during the race after warming up but cold after the race. I’m glad I made the decision to chill back at my uncle’s condo instead of stay for the post-race festivities and raffle before our brunch. The rain started getting harder by the time we were back at his place, and we were getting soaked.

As for our results? I was recovering from a cold so I didn’t push myself that hard. I was still experiencing an occasionally shortness of breath and didn’t want to have someone call medical so I ran at a reasonable pace. I finished in 53:49 – not bad, but not a PR. My uncle said it was good that I had a negative split though.

Screen Shot 2016-04-02 at 6.53.09 PM

My uncle was doing a time trial so he went ahead. And guess what? He did absolutely fantastically, marvelously, extraordinarily, supercalifragilisticexpialidociously amazing. I couldn’t get any race day photos because of the rain, but I’ll try to remember next time!

Uncle Ho's 10K PR

To celebrate his superb finish we went to brunch at The Mermaid Inn, a city oyster shack right on Amsterdam Avenue. Diners can enjoy a variety of dishes for brunch or dinner, ranging from oysters and lobster rolls to pancakes and frittatas.

So what did we order for our post-race celebration?

Seared Tuna Nicoise Salad.IMG_1131

Old Bay Fries.IMG_1132

Smoked Gouda Mac and Cheese.IMG_1133

After some good conversation and watching a father teach his daughter about eating oysters (it was adorable!), the rain had finally stopped and we headed to Levain Bakery for some one-stick butter cookies. I’ve wanted to go for a long time now and being able to go with a foodie like my uncle made it all the better. He recommended the double chocolate chocolate and chocolate walnut. After some deliberation, we decided to go with the chocolate walnut cookie since I had seen them make it on Food Network’s Throwdown with Bobbly Flay.

The line was about a 20 minute wait, and it was a good thing we went in the early(ish). By the time we came out the line had grown more. If you don’t believe me, watch the cookie cam yourself. There’s ALWAYS a line. ALWAYS.

But really – how can you NOT have one of these 6 ounce chocolate goodness?IMG_1140

And all heated up.IMG_1147.JPG

One cookie fed the FOUR of us.

Despite the rain, I’d say April started off well. I ran. I ate. I baked. (Stay tuned to find out what I baked the next day!)



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s